Wednesday 2 November 2011

Retro Make-Up review: Benefit Cosmetics

I popped into Boots the other day for some foundation and found myself at the Benefit counter having a mini-makeover by one of their very attentive sales ladies!
I hadn't tried any Benefit cosmetics before but have always loved their retro packaging so I was keen to see what the foundation was like. I have to say, the sales assistant really was amazing and found me a perfect shade of 'Hello Flawless' which matched my skin tone and looked just as good as my other slightly pricier foundation of choice; Clinique.
It comes with a sponge and a small wide brush in a concealed section underneath the powder compartment so is perfect for my handbag. I was also very pleased to spot an eyebrow kit. Having bleached hair and darker eyebrows I had been looking for a brow darkening kit to re-create the forties look. The Brow Kit is amazing! It's a wax and a Matt powder set complete with 2 brushes and mini tweezers. I've loved being able to easily shape and darken my brows with it and the results are brilliant.
I also ended up purchasing a waterproof eyeliner and mascara (as you do!) and was fortunate to find a twin set on offer so am a happy retro benefit bunny after my trip to Boots!

The only thing I really needed that Benefit did not stock was a red lip liner. I find that my lips can easily bleed with a strong red and having recently discovered the new collection for Rimmel from Kate Moss's 01 I needed a lip liner to avoid the bleed. The Benefit lady was still ever helpful though and pointed me in the direction of the no.7 range where I found a fab liner which seems to do the trick! It's quite a fancy one at £7.50 but without it I look like Halloween everyday so needs must! It's the felt-pen style with a concealed sharpener in the end and goes on smooth as pie.( At least the Rimmel lippy is affordable so the whole package costs about the same as a Rockalily anyway!)


So there you have it! I'm now a Benefit convert and I just adore the retro styling, and the feel and last of their cosmetics too!

How do you achieve a retro make up look?
                      
                            X

1 comment:

Louise Mc said...

Alas I can't use Benefit on my skin it makes me break out (as does clinique). I recently discovered soap and glory eyeliner, which really is the best I've ever had, and No7 Devil's delight nailvarnish, also a recent find. I tend to use No7 lipsticks and of course, lipcote to keep it on! I have really dark eyebrows anyway so just thicken them a little with a Rimmel eye brow pencil. To get it all off at night I swear by cheap and cheerful cold cream.