Wednesday 1 February 2012

Keep Calm and Carry On!

I am loving all the different 'Keep Calm' merchandise around at the moment!
So far we have phone cases, lunchboxes, fridge magnets, iPhone Apps, mugs and a fab little book entitled 'Keep Calm and Carry On, Good Advice for Hard Times' in our house!
The book is great; it's one of those small hardback books you keep in the loo and is full of quotes from a variety of famous people giving advice, encouragement or social comment. I thought I'd share a few with you this Wednesday morning!
 In light of my New Year revelations on stewardship I've turned to the money section first- here's some food for thought...."Today, there are 3 kinds of people: the Have's, The Have Not's and The Have-Not-Paid-For-What-They-Have's". Earl Wilson (1907-1987). The same could be said today!
"Credit is a system whereby a person who can not pay gets another person who can not pay to guarantee that he can pay". Charles Dickens (1812-1870) Dickens was way ahead of his time with this one.
There are lots of sections to this book. One of my favourites is the section on change. I love this quote: "The only difference between a rut and a grave is their dimensions" Ellen Glasgow (1873-1945) It really makes you think doesn't it?!
 My other favourite is one from the section on The Good Life and is by Plato, "Always be kind for everyone is fighting a hard battle." So true!
 I find little 'loo' books like these a reminder to my soul that there's always a different perspective to be had on everything.
I highly recommend the book and it's only a fiver. Money well spent this Wednesday!
Interestingly, "The poster was initially produced by the Ministry of Information,[2] in 1939, at the beginning of the Second World War. It was intended to be distributed in order to strengthen morale in the event of a wartime disaster. 2,500,000 copies were printed, although the poster was distributed only in limited numbers.[3] The designer of the poster is not known." (Thanks Wiki!)

Here's to keeping calm and carrying on today!
                             x

No comments: